What Is Bathroom Waterproofing?
Waterproofing a bathroom is no different to other types of waterproofing – it keeps water away from where it isn’t meant to be. In bathrooms, it involves careful surface preparation, bridging gaps and careful application of multiple coats of a membrane to the floors and walls. Once the membrane dries (at least 24 hours per coat), tiles can be laid.
Why Is Waterproofing Necessary?
When water escapes into areas of your home where it shouldn’t be it can cause all kinds of serious and long-term damage. Just some of the problems caused by excess moisture include:
- Rising damp
- Mold and mildew
- Swelling walls
- Rotting timber
- Structural damage
- Compromised electrics
Bathroom Waterproofing Regulations
Waterproofing needs to comply with the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards (AS 3740-1994) and your waterproofing company needs to supply a compliance certificate after the work is completed. Some of the requirements include:
- the whole shower floor needs to be waterproofed
- shower walls need to be waterproofed up to 1800mm
- other bathroom walls need to be waterproofed up 150mm high
- if the bathroom is not on the ground floor, or the floor is made of wood, then the entire floor needs to be waterproofed
Waterproofing should always be applied by a qualified and licensed waterproofer.
How Long Does Waterproofing Last?
All reputable companies will provide a warranty for their work, usually for around 10 years. If applied correctly, your bathroom will be waterproof for much longer.
How Much Does Waterproofing A Bathroom Cost?
It depends. Like anything, complicated jobs cost more, quick and easy jobs will be cheaper. Factors that impact the price of bathroom waterproofing include whether:
- there’s existing water damage
- the bathroom is on the ground floor or on the second storey
- it’s a part or full bathroom renovation
- you are waterproofing just one bathroom or having multiple rooms done.
Timber flooring can also complicate the job and add to the cost. For more information, read our recent post on bathroom waterproofing costs.